Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Breathing, Trust, and Letting Go....


At the beginning of March when I was checking in with my Dr. on my progress towards a healthier life, both mentally and physically, she suggested that I start going to Yoga. I'll admit I heard that with mixed emotions... I have so many friends who practice Yoga and LOVE it.... but it was not anything I thought I could ever do. So I looked up Yoga Studios in the area and found that there was a new one opening ten minutes from my house. After calling and talking to the manager, I decided to give it a try. So last Thursday, wearing my Yoga pants (which let's face it, have become my every day pants), I headed over for my first class.

When I entered the studio, this huge quote on the wall struck me. Not (just) because it was a large vinyl quote, but it is exactly what I need to do. I need to learn how to breathe. I need to learn how to trust more. I definitely need to learn how to let go. And I was about to see what would happen....

A friend gave me some great advice before class. She told me to only worry about what was happening on my mat. I tried to keep that in mind throughout class. I did the best I could to follow the instructions and didn't even look to see what anyone else was doing.  I was surprised at how simple the movements seemed in theory, but how much I was sweating while holding them. I can remember the teacher saying things like "this is working our inner shoulder blade" or "here we are stretching our inner hip" and thinking I have never even thought about those muscles before. One thing is for sure... the next morning I was thinking about them!! OUCH!

I tried 4 different types of classes last week on my own, and another with my children. The more I go the more I think I am figuring out which is right for me. I'm getting more comfortable with the terminology and understanding more each time. The hardest part is turning my mind off.... although I did find today that when we were mid class, I was working so hard I was definitely lost in the movement and not thinking about anything else. That's todays victory. We will see what the next week of classes brings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment