Monday, February 4, 2013

Saw It! Pinned It! Did It! Crockpot Freezer Bags

It's no secret that my favorite cooking appliance is my Crock Pot. I'm not sure how I originally started crock-potting since I never remember my Mom using one.... but I am a total addict now! I have even seriously considered looking at the pin for the woman who has 365 days of Crock Pot meals, but I think my husband might not be a fan for a whole year. ;) 

Last summer I was trying to come up with a great gift idea for my sister when she had her first baby. Something to make her life easier, help make those first few weeks at home go a little more smooth, and take some pressure off. That's when I found this pin for Crock Pot freezer bags! 


You spend one afternoon chopping everything up, and then have tons of meals to just stick frozen in the crock pot in the morning, and you are ready for dinner by evening! Genius! I think my favorite part is that they are full of fresh vegetables, not just all the cream of soup ones I usually find! 

I looked around Pinterest and found tons of different links for similar ideas, and ended up making 2 of everything... that way I had them too! My sister and I had fun for weeks chatting about which ones we had tried. Some of our favorites were: 

BBQ Chicken 

  • 2 cups sweet potatoes, 
  • 2 cups red and green bell pepper, 
  • 1 cup carrots, 
  • 2 cups onion, 
  • 3 cups zucchini, 
  • 2 T flour, 
  • 1.5 lbs chicken, 
  • 2 cloves garlic, 
  • 1 t salt
  • Dump bag plus one bottle BBQ sauce into crock pot, cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Teriyaki Chicken (2 Bags)
  • Split a large bag of Baby Carrots between the 2 bags
  • Cut Red Onion into Large Chunks and split between the 2 bags
  • (1) 20oz can pineapple in each bag (undrained)
  • (2) Garlic Cloves chopped per bag
  • (2) Chicken Breasts in each bag
  • 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce in each bag
*Add 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce to mixture. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Serve over Rice.
No-Peeking Peking Chicken 
  • 8 bone in chicken thighs 
  • salt and pepper 
  • 3/4 cup chopped scallions 
  • 4 cloves garlic 
  • 1/4 cups soy sauce 
  • 3 tbsp. honey 
  • 1 tbsp. ginger 
  • 1/4 tsp sesame oil 
  • 1 bag frozen corn kernels 
  • 1 bag frozen snow pea pods 
  • 1 red pepper chopped 

Roast and Vegetables 
  • 2 lb chuck roast, cut into cubes 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper 
  • 1 large onion cut into 8ths 
  • 1 bag baby carrots 
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery or onion salt 
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning 
  • 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, DO NOT DRAIN 
  • 2 cans condensed tomato soup 
  • 2 beef boullion cubes, softened 
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes 
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, DRAINED 
  • 6-8 small red potatoes, cubed 

Have you ever tried bagged recipes like this? What are your favorites? 


3 comments:

  1. these sound awesome! show me some more pins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found these tonight too Charlene....
    http://baked-inthesouth.blogspot.com/2012/08/crockpot-freezer-meals-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a mom of 5 picky kids any ideas for kid friendly crock pot meal ideas lol

    ReplyDelete